Ms. Barnes recently completed a new book, Transcend Your Boss: Zen and the Difficult Workplace. The book shows targets of workplace abuse how to exist in a hostile environment long enough to achieve a positive resolution to the problem. This book is a follow-up to Ms. Barnes’ 2012 book, Surviving Bullies, Queen Bees & Psychopaths in the Workplace, which provides an easy-to-understand overview of workplace abuse and advice on how to deal with abuse both internally and legally.
Surviving Bullies, Queen Bees & Psychopaths in the Workplace helps targets effectively use their company’s internal complaint procedure, avoiding common pitfalls that could derail their complaint. If that fails, the book provides an overview of legal options available to targets of workplace abuse. The book is also invaluable to employers and Human Resource professionals, who can learn how to address workplace abuse and minimize the employer’s risk of costly litigation. The book has garnered numerous five-star reviews from prominent workplace bullying experts on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. It is also available in print and as an e-book.
Ms. Barnes writes a syndicated legal blog on workplace abuse, bullying and discrimination called, When the Abuser Goes to Work. The blog is syndicated by Newstex, which provides news and commentary from the “world’s best authoritative sources.” Newstex content is available to subscribers of Lexis-Nexis, Thomas Reuters, Westlaw, etc., as well as university, corporate, legal, and government libraries. It is also listed by Justia and The American Bar Association.
Ms. Barnes is available for consultation, as a speaker and to conduct management training and remediation. She can be contacted at email@example.com.
In addition to her books, Ms. Barnes’ recent workplace-abuse activities include:
- She was interviewed by Bloomberg Businessweek for a feature article on the topic – see Field Guide to Office Bullies.
- Speaker, Wordcamp 2013, University of Nevada, April 2013.
- Speaker, business organization classes at the University of Nevada, Reno, NV. (3/13)
- Radio show of Steven Hollingsworth, All in a Day’s Work, at http://www.vegasallnetradio.com/Shows/All-In-A-Days-Work.html, (10/12)
- Contributor, Back Off! Your Kick-Ass Guide to Ending Bullying @ Work, an excellent book by co-authors Catherine Mattice and E.G. Sebastian (7/ 2012).
- Author, Workplace Bullying: When the Abuser Goes to Work, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE REPORT, a leading national resource for domestic violence advocates. (4-5/2011)
- Interviewed, KRNV-TV, Reno, NV (4/11).
- Co-author (with NV State Senator Richard “Tick” Segerblom), article on workplace bullying, COMMUNIQUÉ, the official journal of the Clark County Bar Association, Las Vegas (5/11). Sen. Segerblom has proposed workplace anti-bullying legislation in Nevada.
- Invited expert on workplace abuse issues before the NV General Assembly’s Commerce and Labor Committee. (3/11).
- Expert, Westlaw Roundtable Group, Thomas Reuters Expert Witness Services, Employee Relations.
Ms. Barnes is also the author of CQ’s Desk Reference on American Criminal Justice and CQ’s Desk Reference on the American Courts and she is the editor of Domestic Violence: From a Private Matter to a Federal Offense.